The purpose of the Alcoa Middle School cheerleading squad is to promote school spirit while gaining leadership skills and improving cheerleading techniques in the process.
- Available to: Boys' and girls' grades 6, 7, and 8.
- Season: Tryouts are generally in March, with practices in the spring and summer. The cheerleaders attend a mandatory camp in the summer. Football season begins in August and carries through September. Basketball season begins in November and carries through January. The cheerleaders support and attend games in both of these programs.
- Skills Necessary: A positive attitude, sharp motions, toe touch, pike, and side hurdler jumps. Voice inflection along with basic stunting is necessary. Tumbling is optional but encouraged.
- Cost to Participate: The average cost to be on the squad is around $500.00,
which includes camp, camp wear, shoes, socks, bloomers
- Practice Schedule: 1-2 practices a week for an hour and fifteen minutes. During sports seasons, there are approximately 1 to 2 games per week.